Syscall wrapper not working?

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Mon Feb 25 12:25:16 PST 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 5:01 AM, Nimrod Partush <nimrodpar at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recall someone saying something about the wrapper lib not working, i
> just checked and saw that it works fine under my setup. Can you recreate
> the failure for me?

The thread-local buffer is 1MB long. If you get a system call which needs
more than 1MB for its results (say a big recv()), we flush the buffer and
then just assume the flushed buffer is big enough. Since this isn't true,
we'll probably crash.

I have a patch that fixes this and cleans up the wrapper-library code a
lot. I was planning to get wrapped blocking syscalls working by monitoring
context switch events, and then submit the whole lot.

Wrfhf pnyyrq gurz gbtrgure naq fnvq, “Lbh xabj gung gur ehyref bs gur
Tragvyrf ybeq vg bire gurz, naq gurve uvtu bssvpvnyf rkrepvfr nhgubevgl
bire gurz. Abg fb jvgu lbh. Vafgrnq, jubrire jnagf gb orpbzr terng nzbat
lbh zhfg or lbhe freinag, naq jubrire jnagf gb or svefg zhfg or lbhe fynir
— whfg nf gur Fba bs Zna qvq abg pbzr gb or freirq, ohg gb freir, naq gb
tvir uvf yvsr nf n enafbz sbe znal.” [Znggurj 20:25-28]