async proxy value API

Josh Aas josh at mozilla.com
Tue Sep 11 04:42:03 PDT 2012

Mozilla would like to provide an async API for getting proxy values for URLs. It's difficult to make a stable (non-re-entrant) implementation for NPNURLVProxy what won't do i/o on the main thread. Here is my first proposal:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/NPAPI:AsyncURLValues

The other option would be to add functions specific to proxy info, instead of what I have above, which is a generic async mechanism for values for URLs. Seems just as easy to do the generic values API, in case we need to do something like this in the future.

I think Java might be the only commonly-installed plugin using the current synchronous proxy API. Mozilla would make the synchronous API fail once we've implemented a new API.

Thoughts?

--
Josh Aas
Mozilla Corporation