Proposal: Allow plugins to set the document title

Brett Wilson brettw at google.com
Wed Sep 14 09:26:14 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Alex Plotnick <shrike at netaxs.com> wrote:
> I've written up a proposal to add a new NPAPI variable, NPPVdocumentTitle,
> that allows a plugin to set the document title via a call to NPN_SetValue:
>
>        https://wiki.mozilla.org/NPAPI:DocumentTitle
>
> On the theory that an implemented proposal is more likely to be taken
> seriously than a mere wishlist item, I've developed a prototype
> implementation for Mozilla; bug 686568 contains a patch. This is my
> first forray into this part of the Mozilla codebase (and indeed my
> first venture back into the tree at all in a decade), so I'm sure there
> are bugs; a review from someone with knowledge of the area would be
> appreciated.
>
> Comments, questions, revisions, and criticism on both the proposal
> and the implementation are all welcome.

What plugin is the target of this proposal?

You talk about the disadvantages of using GetURI to set the title with
script, but you can still just do it by scripting the DOM directly. It
seems not that hard to write proper code here, and all the plugins
that need it have already done it.

So my reaction would be that this proposal seems unnecessary.

Brett