IME API for plugins

Hironori Bono (坊野 博典) hbono at google.com
Tue Jun 21 20:07:44 PDT 2011

Greetings,

I'm Hironori Bono, a software engineer of Google.
These days, I have been integrating improved IME support for
windowless plug-ins into Google Chrome and WebKit to allow plug-ins to
get all IME data from their hosting browsers and to write IME text by
themselves. (To describe its background, we currently need to type IME
text on a separate window as shown in <http://crbug.com/80611> and
send the output text from an IME to a plug-in when we finish typing
text.) Unfortunately, my current approach is very platform-specific:
intercepting IME-API calls from plug-ins and emulate them. (This is
also because Chrome does not attach IMEs to a process on which
plug-ins runs.) Even though this approach is good as a short-term
solution, it would be better for NPAPI to have an interface that
allows plug-ins to retrieve IME data from their hosting browsers as a
long-term solution. Would it be possible to tell me whether there is
an existing API that allows retrieving IME data? If not, would it be
possible to teach me how I can add a new interface to NPAPI?
Thank you for your help in advance.

Regards,

Hironori Bono
E-mail: hbono at google.com