Mozilla ending support for Carbon and Quickdraw models after Firefox 4

Josh Aas josh at mozilla.com
Fri Jun 11 14:25:20 PDT 2010

Firefox 4 will add full support for the Cocoa event model and the Invalidating Core Animation drawing model. The Core Graphics drawing model will also be supported, and 32-bit builds will include support for the Carbon event model and the Quickdraw drawing model. Carbon and Quickdraw plugins will be run in-process as our out-of-process plugin implementation will not support them.

The Carbon and Quickdraw models will be considered deprecated in Firefox 4 and we are planning to remove support for them entirely after Firefox 4. I want to give early notice so that plugin vendors have plenty of time to plan for this. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to email me directly.

--
Josh Aas
Software Engineer