Thoughts on Pepper

Carlos Pizano cpu at google.com
Fri Apr 30 19:21:21 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Brett Wilson <brettw at google.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:
>> (These are my personal thoughts, not any official Mozilla thing.)
>>
>> I'm assuming that the goal of Pepper is to provide a rich platform API for
>> sandboxed native code execution across browsers. I think that's a worthwhile
>> goal.
>>
>> But browsers already offer a rich platform API to sandboxed code: the
>> standards-based Web APIs. Currently Pepper offers some functionality that
>> Web APIs do not, but I see no reason why native code will ultimately want
>> different functionality from JS Web apps.

Audio API: it was structured to be a good fit for the patterns of
usage of video games or more precisely popular open source video game
middle-ware such as SDL. Like anything else is not set in stone.

Another thing that Pepper allows (or does not prevent) is multiple
threads in the same address space and can have dedicated threads that
block on an API call. This might affect how the API looks as opposed
to the desirable async nature of the API exposed to js.

-cpu