Linux Firefox Rendering Changes, 3.5 -> 3.6

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Tue Apr 13 23:35:13 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> wrote:

> Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
>> The biggest change we did that affected plugins was to eliminate native
>> widgets for IFRAMEs and overflow:auto elements, so that the parent widget
>> for all plugins is associated with the root of the toplevel content
>> document.
>>

> Okay, yeah, that's exactly what we're noticing. The iframes don't seem to
> have their own windows anymore.

In the near future that's going to change even more so that even individual
toplevel documents and tabs don't have their own windows. There will be just
one window for the toplevel Firefox (or embedding) window.

When we made these changes to remove native windows, we had to start
clipping plugins in more intelligent ways. On X we're using XShape to clip
windowed plugins now.

This discussion probably doesn't need to be on plugin-futures.

Rob
53:5-6]