NPP_DrawImage NPAPI proposal.

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Thu Apr 8 16:00:35 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Antoine Labour <piman at google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Antoine Labour <piman at google.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Another point: significant work has already been invested into the
>>> platform independent NPAPI to redefine 2D drawing into something that works
>>> better for untrusted and OOP plugins, and that work is supported by 2
>>> browser vendors
>>>

>> Hmm, who other than Chrome?
>>

> According to both
> http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2010/03/improved_flash_player_support.html
>  and
> http://blog.chromium.org/2010/03/bringing-improved-support-for-adobe.html Mozilla
> is working on it too...

That's interesting. As the manager of the Mozilla layout team and someone
who is involved with coding and code reviews for a lot of our plugin code, I
was not aware of that. I wonder where that quote originated.

> There is no consensus that Pepper is the future of NPAPI, and it's such a
>> huge API that implementing Pepper well in a browser is a very large project.
>> I don't think we should allow the possibility of Pepper in the future to
>> block incremental improvements to the rest of NPAPI.
>>

> Well, I'm not sure if browser vendors in general are interested in
> supporting a wide variety of redundant efforts...
> Note that most parts of Pepper can be incrementally bolted on existing
> NPAPI implementations, so you don't have to fully implement Pepper to
> implement the 2D drawing part.

Interesting. Is it documented somewhere what the minimum amount of Pepper is
that you'd have to implement to support the 2D drawing part?

Rob
53:5-6]