NPP_DrawImage NPAPI proposal.

Antoine Labour piman at google.com
Thu Apr 8 15:54:00 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Antoine Labour <piman at google.com> wrote:
>
>> Another point: significant work has already been invested into the
>> platform independent NPAPI to redefine 2D drawing into something that works
>> better for untrusted and OOP plugins, and that work is supported by 2
>> browser vendors
>>

> Hmm, who other than Chrome?

According to both
http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2010/03/improved_flash_player_support.html
 and
http://blog.chromium.org/2010/03/bringing-improved-support-for-adobe.html
Mozilla
is working on it too...

>  and 1 major plugin vendor (see
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Plugins:PlatformIndependentNPAPI#2D_Rendering ),
>> so I would suggest bringing your thoughts into the design there, rather than
>> bringing a 3rd drawing model to the table.
>>

> There is no consensus that Pepper is the future of NPAPI, and it's such a
> huge API that implementing Pepper well in a browser is a very large project.
> I don't think we should allow the possibility of Pepper in the future to
> block incremental improvements to the rest of NPAPI.

Well, I'm not sure if browser vendors in general are interested in
supporting a wide variety of redundant efforts...
Note that most parts of Pepper can be incrementally bolted on existing NPAPI
implementations, so you don't have to fully implement Pepper to implement
the 2D drawing part.

Antoine