Photon landing strategy

Chris Peterson cpeterson at mozilla.com
Tue Mar 28 07:06:00 UTC 2017

On 3/27/2017 4:51 PM, Justin Dolske wrote:
> The other option is to land Photon pieces behind prefs. This is the
> option I'd strongly prefer, as it lets us get Nightly testing and the
> benefits of our normal infra come by default. Of course, nothing is
> free... Some things are difficult to put behind a pref. And we'd
> likely need to run a non-Photon project branch, to make sure Aurora
> isn't busted after an uplift.

Instead of using a separate project branch for running tests on
non-default pref values, you might consider adding a new pseudo
"platform" to Treeherder. Stylo has "linux64-stylo" builds+tests running
on inbound/etc (bug 1330666) and Quantum Render has "linux64-qr"
builds+tests running just on central.

> On a related note, there's the question of what things need to be
> held-back until Photon's release. The general guideline is that
> Firefox 55/56 shouldn't look or feel different to users, and 57 should
> be the release where everything is awesome. (Cue LEGO music.)

It seems like some of the smaller visible UI changes could probably ship
in 55/56 without needing a pref. Users probably won't notice some of the
UI polish features until everything is into place in 57. Shipping these
smaller bits in 55/56 would give us more testing.

I recall a blog post from a few years ago (that I can't find now)
describing how Chrome's UX team wanted to change their tab color scheme.
So over the course of a few releases, they gradually blended the old and
new colors, "boiling the frog" so few users would not notice and
complain. :-)