BMO Component for Master Password bugs

Matthew N. MattN at mozilla.com
Fri Jul 15 21:53:38 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 5:42 AM, Gijs Kruitbosch <gijskruitbosch at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 14/07/2016 23:50, Matthew N. wrote:
>
>> I specifically would like to move most master password bugs out of
>> Toolkit::Password Manager since they aren't specific to the password
>> manager
>>

> I'm a little confused. What other things than password manager do the
> master password bugs relate to? Isn't it only used to secure
> passwords/logins? In other words, why isn't Toolkit::Password Manager the
> correct component?

​The implementation of master password code and UI. It's also used for
client certificates and possibly extensions.​

Two reasons why most of the MP bugs don't belong in the password manager
component:
a) The MP implementation code/UI aren't in the password manager source
directories. I think the implementation is in PSM.
b) The owners of password manager don't own the master password
implementation and therefore the bugs aren't triaged by the same people.

​I'm not saying no MP bugs belong in the password manager component but
even ignoring the ones in the password manager component I think it's clear
that the bugs are fragmented between many components.

Matthew