nightly seems to have stopped automatically updating

Jeff Grossman jeff at
Mon Feb 6 20:27:13 PST 2012

On 2/6/2012 8:08 PM, Bryan Price wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM, Jeff Grossman <jeff at
> <mailto:jeff at>> wrote:
>     On 2/6/2012 2:52 PM, Norman R. Lacasse wrote:
>>     "Also, my nightly seems to have stopped automatically updating
>>     itself each day when I reboot.... I have to rerun the complete
>>     install from the latest trunc; anyone else having this problem?
>>      Any advice to kick start the automatic update again kplsthx!"
>>     Hi Declan,
>>     I'm not having trouble with automatically updating. If you go
>>     into Help > About Nightly (I use the classic menu) it should
>>     download the newest update then give give you a button to update
>>     or restart, I forget what the button says. I just push it and it
>>     updates. I check every morning because sometimes there is an
>>     update after the update. When it is up to date it says so. I
>>     can't give any advice on restarting the automatic updates.
>>     Norman R. Lacasse
>     One thing to remember with Nightly (and now Aurora) is that you
>     will no longer see an update progress bar.  It updates itself in
>     the background now (at least it doesn't on my Windows 7 machine).
>     When you go to About Nightly, what is the date?  Does it say Apply
>     Update?
> It _doesn't_ on my Windows 7 machine either.  I have to tell it to
> download the update, and then tell it to restart.  It keeps flashing
> the Nightly 13.0A1 update available, and then after awhile it throws
> up the window to download if I ignore it.  And if I don't pay
> attention, I'll get multiple update windows (which I just ignore).

When you see the message that there is an update available do you
restart the browser?  That is the only way to apply the apply is by

Whoops, I meant to say it does on my Windows 7 machine.  And, also I
should clarify when I say updates in the background, that is not exactly
true.  You need to restart the browser, it updates without a bar while
it starts up.  If an update is available you will notice that it takes a
little longer than normal for it to start up.