nightly seems to have stopped automatically updating

Jeff Grossman jeff at stikman.com
Mon Feb 6 20:27:13 PST 2012

On 2/6/2012 8:08 PM, Bryan Price wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM, Jeff Grossman <jeff at stikman.com
> <mailto:jeff at stikman.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 2/6/2012 2:52 PM, Norman R. Lacasse wrote:
>>
>>     "Also, my nightly seems to have stopped automatically updating
>>     itself each day when I reboot.... I have to rerun the complete
>>     install from the latest trunc; anyone else having this problem?
>>      Any advice to kick start the automatic update again kplsthx!"
>>

>>     Hi Declan,
>>
>>     I'm not having trouble with automatically updating. If you go
>>     into Help > About Nightly (I use the classic menu) it should
>>     download the newest update then give give you a button to update
>>     or restart, I forget what the button says. I just push it and it
>>     updates. I check every morning because sometimes there is an
>>     update after the update. When it is up to date it says so. I
>>     can't give any advice on restarting the automatic updates.
>>
>>     Norman R. Lacasse
>>

>     One thing to remember with Nightly (and now Aurora) is that you
>     will no longer see an update progress bar.  It updates itself in
>     the background now (at least it doesn't on my Windows 7 machine).
>     When you go to About Nightly, what is the date?  Does it say Apply
>     Update?
>

> It _doesn't_ on my Windows 7 machine either.  I have to tell it to
> download the update, and then tell it to restart.  It keeps flashing
> the Nightly 13.0A1 update available, and then after awhile it throws
> up the window to download if I ignore it.  And if I don't pay
> attention, I'll get multiple update windows (which I just ignore).

When you see the message that there is an update available do you
restart the browser?  That is the only way to apply the apply is by
restarting.

Whoops, I meant to say it does on my Windows 7 machine.  And, also I
should clarify when I say updates in the background, that is not exactly
true.  You need to restart the browser, it updates without a bar while
it starts up.  If an update is available you will notice that it takes a
little longer than normal for it to start up.

Jeff