Just landed: Android Unit Tests

Vivek Balakrishnan vivekb.balakrishnan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 16:04:12 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

I wanted to let you know that the we are trying to provide Android Unit
test support that runs in a local JVM instead of phone/emulator (bug
1182193).  We've imported the existing Android Sync test suite as a proof
of concept.

As  a part of this change, we have raised the Gradle  plugin version to
1.3.0 . I have tested that this update does not break the IDE integration
with the latest IntelliJ (14.1.4) and Android Studio (1.3.2)

Please file a bug CCing me (:vivek) and Nick (:nalexander) if you find any
incompatibility with IntelliJ or Android Studio.

The Android Sync test files are in mobile/android/tests/background/junit4/
You can run the unit tests by running |mach gradle cleanTest test|.  The
tests aren't run unless you ask for them, and aren't run in automation
(yet).

Depending on your  setup, you may notice that the tests fail with the
following exception
"org.mozilla.gecko.sync.crypto.CryptoException"

You will need to update your Sun Java Cryptographic Policy to resolve this.
Go to
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jce-7-download-432124.html
accept the license agreement, and download the file named
UnlimitedJCEPolicyJDK7.zip
Extract and copy US_export_policy.jar & local_policy.jar  to
JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/security/ .

Best,
Vivek