Janus: call for testing

James Willcox jwillcox at mozilla.com
Thu Jul 10 22:29:37 PDT 2014

Mobile folks,

As many of you may be aware, myself and a small team (Eugen and Sylvain) have been working on a proxy server. The goal is to increase privacy (via a secure connection), reduce bandwidth usage, and improve latency. We have a wiki page detailing some of the ideas around how to accomplish that here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Janus

We’re to the point now where we can benefit from getting some real-world usage data and bug reports, so that’s where you come in. A development server has been set up at http://janus.allizom.org. You can set that as the “automatic proxy configuration URL” in the network prefs in desktop, but we have something better! I wrote a small addon that will point the browser to the proxy server and also adds a menu item for easily toggling it on/off. There is no proxy configuration UI in Fennec, so the addon is particularly convenient there. In the addon prefs, you can also see how much the proxy has saved you in bandwidth (for that session only, currently). The addon is available here: https://github.com/mozilla/janus-addon/raw/master/janus.xpi

If you run into problems, don’t hesitate to ping myself, Eugen, or Sylvain. You can also file bugs in GitHub here: https://github.com/mozilla/node-janus/issues

Thanks,
James