[rfc] Moving Robocop tests to mobile/android/tests

Nick Alexander nalexander at mozilla.com
Thu Feb 13 13:32:27 PST 2014

On 2/13/2014, 1:12 PM, Chris Kitching wrote:
> Wouldn't that change make it much easier to finally kill off the
> annoying @RobocopTarget annotations I sprinkled through the codebase?
> See, if Proguard were run over both the Robocop and Fennec classes at
> once, it would be able to figure out the calls from one to the other by
> itself and automagically produce a consistent output - no need for
> annotations.

This would be nice, but I'm not sure Proguard supports "consumers that
are not themselves part of the resulting JAR file".  Worth
investigating, for sure.

> There'd be other things to think about before actually doing that - is
> it sensilble to optimise the tests? Would the increased freedom of being
> able to "just reference" anything from Fennec in robocop lead to so many
> entry points that Proguard ends up effectively doing nothing? (Fixed by
> rerunning Proguard on optimised builds omitting Robocop classes - but
> then, testing not quite the same thing you're deploying?)

I have been thinking that we should go debug/release builds with only
the latter Proguarded, since the Proguard "contract" is that it should
not change behaviour.  (Of course, that's a lie, since reflection, etc
interact with Proguard.)

Thanks for suggesting this!

Nick