Best practices for assigning bugs to contributors?

Nicholas Alexander nalexander at mozilla.com
Fri Dec 19 10:15:57 PST 2014

Hi Mike, hi m-f-d,

Question: what do you (mhoye) recommend for assigning bugs to contributors?

This question about bug assignment came up in the mobile-frontend meeting
today, so I'm asking you and CCing m-f-d for wider discussion.  Some of us
have found that assigning a bug to an individual has the effect of blocking
or camping the issue so that others won't pick it up (without any visible
progress on the ticket).  Some of us have found that assigning a bug can
have the effect of making it "real" for a contributor and they will take
pains to explain what's going on and when they intend to act on the ticket.

I expect that you have an opinion, and hopefully data, on whether assigning
a bug actually produces a good outcome (RESOLVED FIXED?) faster.

Tell us!
Nick