Firefox Mobile mysteriously using a huge amount of storage

Jonathan Watt jwatt at jwatt.org
Sun Nov 24 12:01:50 PST 2013

On 24/11/2013 19:36, Matt Brubeck wrote:
> Just enter this URI in the address bar:
>
> file:///data/data/org.mozilla.firefox/

Awesome, thank you. There sitting directly in /data/data/org.mozilla.firefox/
are 5 identical 160 MB .mp4 files.

We played them and my friend tells me that they are a recording she made using
the phone's built-in camera and then tried to attach to an email on Yahoo Mail.
She remembers trying to upload them multiple times before giving up, but she
doesn't remember if Firefox crashed each time or if they just failed to attach.
At any rate, it seems that Firefox copied them into it data directory and then
failed to clean up.

> If that's not usable enough, maybe Margaret's extension could be
> modified to copy more than just the profile directory.

Right now I'm wondering how I can delete these 5 mp4 files to free the leaked
storage space up for her. I'm guessing pretty much my only option is to
write/find an add-on that will do that.

I'm also wondering just how many other users are being bitten by this bug.
Asking a couple of other Firefox Mobile using friends they tell me that they
regularly use the Application Manager to clear the Firefox storage and just have
to reenter passwords etc. That sounds like it sucks!

Maybe we can have Firefox Mobile just delete all files from the root of its data
directory when it starts up. It looks like no other files are put there, so if
that's the directory that's used as a stage for uploads we can probably safely
assume any files there on startup are leaked temporary files.

Jonathan