It's time to remove plugin support from Firefox mobile

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon May 13 06:06:14 PDT 2013

On 10/05/13 18:54, David Keeler wrote:
> * The only plugin that most users care about is Flash. Adobe stopped
> development for Flash on Android in November of 2011, which is a year
> and a half ago[1].

... and it's no longer available for new installations.

> * Popular sites that use plugins have native apps. This includes
> YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and so on. Other sites can follow suit or use
> modern web technologies like HTML5.

I think the first big question is: is driving people to using native
apps rather than Flash a win or a loss for us?

Clearly we'd prefer them to use HTML5 video, but they won't all do that.

The second big question is regard to user opinion. When we didn't have
Flash support we were regularly panned for it - even beyond the Flash
EOL announcement IIRC. Do we want to take the hit to our Market rating?

Addons are also an option.

How are addons a serious option?

Gerv