It's time to remove plugin support from Firefox mobile

Bradford Lassey blassey at mozilla.com
Fri May 10 12:17:59 PDT 2013

On 5/10/13 2:50 PM, David Keeler wrote:
>> We still struggle to get mobile content served to us by
>> websites/servers.
> Well, it's not going to happen if we don't push them.
You think they aren't being pushed by Safari and Chrome not supporting
Flash?

>> Our h264 decoding on Android is still a work in progress.
> H264 support is not a prerequisite to removing plugin support. As
> illustrated, there are other existing options for delivering the content
> people want.
Not in their browser. Asking people to install other apps to get their
content runs counter to pushing the web forward and is quite frankly a
cop-out.

>> Removing it before Adobe EoL Flash will result in negative reviews
> According to
> http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/flash-runtimes-roadmap.pdf
> , "Adobe will continue to provide critical bug fixes and security
> updates for existing device configurations through September 2013".
> Assuming 6 weeks per release, Firefox 24 will be released mid-September,
> just in time for EoL of Flash on Android.
That doesn't mean that Flash won't be on the devices. It also doesn't
meant that the OEMs won't pick up the tab for pushing security releases
(though who knows really). Bottom line is that users will still want to
be able to access their content.
> I think this is a good time to
> start making plans for this.

We are planning for it. The plan is called Shumway.