Metro Chrome is now Metro Chrome OS

Matt Brubeck mbrubeck at mozilla.com
Thu Jan 16 13:35:24 PST 2014

This has been on the Chrome Beta channel for a while, but as of this
week Chrome 32 has been released, and they completely replaced their
Metro browser with, essentially, a version of Chrome OS that runs within
the full-screen Metro environment.  It includes its own clock, taskbar,
and window manager:

http://www.zdnet.com/googles-latest-chrome-release-tries-to-replace-the-windows-8-desktop-7000025190/

Essentially Chrome does not have a Metro-style browser, and are instead
using the immersive environment for a completely different purpose.
They are not even using the Metro edge gestures or charms for any useful
purpose.  This is interesting to us because Chrome is now clearly not a
direct competitor to Firefox for Metro -- they don't offer what we
offer, nor vice-versa.

I'd encourage everyone to fire up Chrome 32 and experiment a bit with
their new thing if you haven't already.  Also, I spotted this Twitter
exchange with the author of the ZDNet article above:
https://twitter.com/edbott/status/423451374563516416