[Marketing-Public]Re: Firefox on Google (Bryan Simonson)

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:29:22 +1000

David Hallowell wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:26:20 -0700, Bryan Simonson <manticor@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>...If few thousand people linked to Mozilla.org with the
>>text "internet explorer," it might make it into the top ten for that
>>term.
> A safter alternative to <a href="http://mozilla.org/">Internet Explorer</a>

I think it's better to use marketing in a positive way towards Mozilla,
rather than negatively against IE.  ie. By saying how good Mozilla is,
rather than how bad IE is.

   Also, that would confuse some users because the link does not make
sense when read out of context.  If I were scanning a page for links, as
I often do, then without reading the surrounding text, I would assume
that linked to the IE homepage.  If I were actually looking for IE, then
I would not be happy with being taken elsewhere, especially if I didn't
even know what mozilla was.  Therefore, I think it would be better to
use something like:

    title="The Safer Alternative for Web Browsing">
Explore the Internet with Firefox</a>

or

    title="The Best Internet Experience">
Explore the Internet with Mozilla</a>

They both got "Internet" and "Explore" in them, though not in the
correct order, which may affect google a bit.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://www.lachy.id.au/