[Marketing-Public]Re: marketing-public digest, Vol 1 #231 - 13 msgs

Ryan Nicolas ryan at nicostudio.ca
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:23:06 -0400

On Sep 2, 2004, at 11:25 AM, Harrison Chen wrote:

> Has anyone here actually tried to ask someone to change
> their website's CSS/Javascript so it will be compatible
> with most browsers?  I'm not talking like, things that only
> work in IE.  I'm talking about mistakes like misnaming
> variables and using "=" instead of ":" and leaving out
> quotations for CSS, etc.  Things that are just bad coding.

I evangelize on a daily basis. I've tried to get these things into the
mind space of individual developers with major success. Now, sales men
and business owners are an all together different challenge. Entire
.com's axing through the woods with the same business model which
failed them three years. They will never change. The major problem is
the public's perception of these places. 'They survived so they must be
doing something right' attitude. That is very difficult to circumvent.

> I've found it's very hard to convince people to change
> things, especially people with little coding knowledge.
> One of my friends, who knows nothing about coding, just
> used some layout she downloaded from a site for her
> "Xanga."  She didn't want to fix it, and asked me to use IE
> instead.  I didn't really want to argue, so I just let it
> pass.  I even pointed out the specific errors and stuff.

I wouldn't even try to switch the attitude of the casual user or
developer. They don't have to have any accountability anyway, so why
would they care? I wouldn't.

> Another friend had problems with CSS and Javascript.  I
> pointed out the errors and he fixed them.  He too
> downloaded his layout from some site.  He has programming
> experience, so he fixed it right away (maybe because he
> enjoyed programming).
>
> I think it's important to find a way to convince
> nonexperienced users to fix their code.

For my aforementioned reasons, I think it's a waste of time. A very
important thing to implement, but the giant is too big. There's no
network of communication between inexperienced coders. No trend will
catch fire among them. That being said...

> Also, I think it's important not to target individual
> sites, but maybe some of the sources of all this.  For
> instance, these sites where people download Xanga layouts.
> Thousands of people use their layouts.  All of those could
> be corrected just if the source of the layouts corrected
> their errors.  Instead of focusing on thousands of
> different Xanga sites, we could just focus on the layout
> writers themselves.

...this would actually do that. A solution that inexperienced
developers don't even need to know about. And neither do they need to
know anything about it. They are not professionals. The key is to do it
for them, without even their knowledge.

r.