[Marketing-Public]Re: marketing-public digest, Vol 1 #231 - 13 msgs

Harrison Chen harrisonchen at yahoo.com
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:25:59 -0700 (PDT)

Okay.

Has anyone here actually tried to ask someone to change
their website's CSS/Javascript so it will be compatible
with most browsers?  I'm not talking like, things that only
work in IE.  I'm talking about mistakes like misnaming
variables and using "=" instead of ":" and leaving out
quotations for CSS, etc.  Things that are just bad coding.

I've found it's very hard to convince people to change
things, especially people with little coding knowledge.
One of my friends, who knows nothing about coding, just
used some layout she downloaded from a site for her
"Xanga."  She didn't want to fix it, and asked me to use IE
instead.  I didn't really want to argue, so I just let it
pass.  I even pointed out the specific errors and stuff.

Another friend had problems with CSS and Javascript.  I
pointed out the errors and he fixed them.  He too
downloaded his layout from some site.  He has programming
experience, so he fixed it right away (maybe because he
enjoyed programming).

I think it's important to find a way to convince
nonexperienced users to fix their code.

Also, I think it's important not to target individual
sites, but maybe some of the sources of all this.  For
instance, these sites where people download Xanga layouts.
Thousands of people use their layouts.  All of those could
be corrected just if the source of the layouts corrected
their errors.  Instead of focusing on thousands of
different Xanga sites, we could just focus on the layout
writers themselves.

-Harrison

=====
WTO + WIPO = DMCA?
I'll see your DMCA and raise you a First Amendment.
http://www.anti-dmca.org