[Marketing-Public]Weblogs RSS feed on mozilla.org home page

David Hallowell David Hallowell <david.hallowell at gmail.com>
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 14:23:34 +0100

That's why putting links to weblogs on the front page of Mozilla.org
is a bad idea. I actually used one of your previous posts as an
example why in a MozillaZine post ;)

Imagine someone new wanting to find out what this mozilla thing was
all about, then they go to mozilla.org and on the front page is a link
to a weblog post entitled "Is Firefox going NUTS or what?!?" [1] or
with language that some may find objectionable "I HATE THIS BIG SHIT
OF WINDOWS" [2]

This ain't an attack on Daniel even though I used him as an example.
The point is weblogs should reflect the users views and opinions, but
remember mozilla.org is now primarily a site to market the
browser.Putting such links directly into the hands of the unsuspecting
public could be bad (users thinking Firefox must be crap if their
developers are going nuts - it says they're going nuts on their front
page so it must be true).

If I had a blog and it was syndicated on the front page of mozilla.org
I'd be put off voicing my true opinions on developments in Mozilla
just in case some curious newbie seen the link on the front page and
was put off from trying Firefox because of that.

Linking to MozillaZine will be enough, if users decide to get more
interested in the project then they can easily discover the weblogs
and get involved in discussions on these blogs and the forums.

[1] http://webperso.easyconnect.fr/danielglazman/weblog/dotclear/index.php?2004/08/24/513-is-firefox-going-nuts-or-what

[2] http://webperso.easyconnect.fr/danielglazman/weblog/dotclear/index.php?2004/08/27/523-i-hate-this-big-shit-of-windows