[Marketing-Public]website stats summary

Chris Hofmann chofmann at meer.net
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:22:20 -0700

raiph wrote:

> I thought this might be interesting. A condensed summary
> of the website stats at http://www.mozilla.org/webalizer/
>
> Any analysis, insights, links etc. welcomed.
>
> Date      Visits  OKs  404s   OKs only 200s, no 302s etc.
>
> Sep 2003     12    72     3   in millions
> Oct          14   110     4
> Nov          16   172     9   new site
> Dec          18   180    15
> Jan 2004     22   189    19
> Feb          11   104    14   people decide to wait?
> Mar           8    80    16
> Apr           8    80    18
> May           7    66    80
> Jun           6    66    79
> Jul          52   604    11   download.ject?
> Aug          60   595     1
>
> If you extrapolate Sep-Jan as a curve, you end up with something
> akin to what you got in July, August.
>
> In other words, as suggested in my comments above, maybe people
> decided to ignore mozilla.org for a few months but the underlying
> growth in other respects continued unabated.

Storage of the weblog data was broken in Feb. after  1.6 and Firefox 0.7
was released. We started to blow out the max file size on the logs and
it took a while for the problem to be detected and diagnosed.   I don't
think people "went away" but we actually had a pretty steady growth path
in traffic during Feb-June.  alexa also has a good estimate of traffic
to the site and overall ranking with spikes indicating releases of 1.5
(oct), 1.6 (jan), and 1.7 (mid june) and the associate firefox (feb) and
thunderbird releases

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?&range=1y&size=large&compare_sites=&url=http://www.mozilla.org#graph

> Then the alert/press
> wave in late June was simply a catalyst to act for those who were
> thinking about doing something about Firefox anyway to go do it.

Right, that is the second bump on the alexa graph that took us from a
top 4000 site to a dip under 2000 for a day or two in the second week of
July.

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?&range=3m&size=large&compare_sites=&url=http://www.mozilla.org#graph

> If so, that would suggest there's just a simple long term
> underlying trend of a 15% a month visit climb, with a new user
> climb which is, presumably, less than that.
>
> What happened with 404s in May-Jun? There were more 404s than OKs!
> A broken image?

any data webalizer data out of the Feb-Jun logs is unreliable.  I'd
ignore it.