[Marketing-Public]informal support proposal

Tristan Nitot marketing-public at mozilla.org
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:14:25 +0200

Hi all,

I was just about to writre a similar message to the list.

Percy Cabello wrote:

>I think MF is looking for a liable support provider. Better suited for
>companies where IT staff needs "īt's not possible to do" kind of answers to be
>presented to their bosses when something goes wrong.
>
>The difference is more about image and to some degree liability: legal or
>moral. It just sounds different if you say "I get it at some Mozilla
>newgroup/forum/IRC". As mentioned, whatever support provider could live and
>resell the info to their customers, but as long as the liable one is him and
>not me, it could be OK for me.
>
>As for visibility, I agree it should be easier to get to valuable resources
>like Champions, the Mozillazine forums and others. Guess this will be solved
>when support.mozdev.org is launched.
>
>Also, there's a major concern about revenue for MF here. I understand the
>contract will be between th MF and  the support group, with some split of
>profits. I only hope and really don't expect the MF to "prefer" and better
>promote paid support services over free ones. I believe they are targeted to
>different users (end- and corporate) so there shouldn't be a conflict of
>interests.

I think that Champions should get more visibility (we think we will do
that for www.mozilla-europe.org )

I understand that Bart needs some revenue to be made for the Foundation,
and does not have time to build a solution from scratch on his own time,
therefore expects a business to answer the problem while sharing revenue.

I understand that phone (or anything more interactive than Usenet)
support is needed by our user base.

Other than that, I have read Pike's article [1] on this very topic, and
I agree that an open, shared knowledge base is a must, so that support
quality will increase over time, harnessing the community's knowledge
while the support cost will be lowered for the vendor, enabling this
company to share more of its revenue with the Foundation.

My 2 cents,

--Tristan

[1]http://www.axel-hecht.de/blog/archives/000100.html

--
Mozilla-Europe and OpenWebGroup Contributor
http://mozilla-europe.org/ : The Free browser/mail-client now in Europe!