[Marketing-Public]Mozilla vs Opera

James Graham marketing-public at mozilla.org
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:40:41 +0000

Jason Kersey wrote:
> Robert J. Accettura wrote:
>

>> Daniel Wang wrote:
>>

>>> Users have three alternatives: newsgroup,
>>

>> Most users don't like newsgroups.  Associated with spam and porn.  I
>> don't think many general users even know how to use a newsgroup, much
>> less use one.  Were talking average joe here.
>

> I agree with this.
>
>>> MozillaZine forums
>>

>> Slow, slow, slow.  Not to mention, it's external, feels real
>> unoffical.  Not really support, but just a community they can use.
>

> I don't fine them slow, first off.  Second, if it feels 'external' how
> can we change that.  I also disagree that it's not really support, we
> get a ton of people coming ONLY for support, and not for community.

Speaking of Mozillazine, the most useful thing that people could do in
terms of support is add more known issues to the knowledgebase. That
would be great because it would allow competent users to find their own
solutions to problems without having to trawl through the forums, and
would produce a single point of reference for people trying to find
answers for others - so speeding up the support process on IRC / forums
/etc.

I admit that  haven't contributed nearly as much as I ought to
(essentially one article and some marketing-type charts), but I think
time spent documenting the diffuse community knowledge is probably
better than time spent debating the role of greeters in the rise of Walmart.

--
And I know it could be me...