[Marketing-Public]feature comparison sheet

James Graham marketing-public at mozilla.org
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:02:43 +0000

Bart Decrem wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> One of the most important documents for press and companies that are
> looking at Mozilla products is a comparison chart comparing the
> various Mozilla products to each other and to other commercial and
> open source projects.
>
> We've shied away from this because it's a big task keeping up with all
> the competitive products, especially since products upgrade so quickly.
> What we'd like to do is use a Wiki so that everyone (that means YOU)
> can contribute to a big table that's maintained by the community and
> then once a quarter (when we do a Mozilla 1.x release, for instance),
> we would do a release of the feature comparison chart and post that on
> the Mozilla web site.

Mozillazine is in the process of creating a wiki at
http://support.mozillazine.org/ Would it make sense to piggyback on this
effort rather than starting another project? There might be good reasons
to have a mozilla.org wiki that is seperate from that at mozillazine -
keeping documents up to date (and making small changes) on mozilla.org
is /hard/, which discourages people from contributing. There is some
documentation, not just in marketing, that would be well served by a
general wiki.mozilla.org. Then, like you suggest, useful documents could
be frozen at some point in time and moved onto mozilla.org proper.