[Marketing-Public]feature comparison sheet

Albert Ren marketing-public at mozilla.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:15:08 -0500

Bart Decrem wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> One of the most important documents for press and companies that are
> looking at Mozilla products is a comparison chart comparing the
> various Mozilla products to each other and to other commercial and
> open source projects.
>
> We've shied away from this because it's a big task keeping up with all
> the competitive products, especially since products upgrade so quickly.
> What we'd like to do is use a Wiki so that everyone (that means YOU)
> can contribute to a big table that's maintained by the community and
> then once a quarter (when we do a Mozilla 1.x release, for instance),
> we would do a release of the feature comparison chart and post that on
> the Mozilla web site.
>
> I'm looking for a volunteer to launch this project and maintain it as
> (hopefully) dozens of people start contributing to the wiki.  One
> starting point is Ben's Firebird comparison page at
> http://www.bengoodger.com/mlx9346/compare/. This page is of course
> biased towards Firebird, which is fine.
>
> Generally, we're looking to build a document that highlights the
> strengths of our various products while being accurate and generally
> fair.
>
> Some products to include in the table: Mozilla 1.x, Firebird,
> Thunderbird, Opera, Safari, IE, Netscape 7.1, Konqueror, Outlook,
> Outlook Express, Eudora, Netscape 4.79(?).
>
> Let me know if you're interested in starting this project.
>
> Bart

I'd be happy to help keep it updated.  I notice in Ben's page that
there's even a few points of debate (didn't Mozilla 1.5 come with popup
blocking turned on after the first popup?) and Opera 7.2's a little
better with the MDI/SDI mix.

Speaking of volunteer groups, whatever happened to the other one I
volunteered to help maintain?  I think it was a user testimonial thing,
but I don't even know anymore :)

Albert