[Marketing-Public]feature comparison sheet

Bart Decrem marketing-public at mozilla.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:21:08 -0800

Hi everyone,

One of the most important documents for press and companies that are
looking at Mozilla products is a comparison chart comparing the various
Mozilla products to each other and to other commercial and open source
projects.

We've shied away from this because it's a big task keeping up with all
the competitive products, especially since products upgrade so quickly.

What we'd like to do is use a Wiki so that everyone (that means YOU) can
contribute to a big table that's maintained by the community and then
once a quarter (when we do a Mozilla 1.x release, for instance), we
would do a release of the feature comparison chart and post that on the
Mozilla web site.

I'm looking for a volunteer to launch this project and maintain it as
(hopefully) dozens of people start contributing to the wiki.  One
starting point is Ben's Firebird comparison page at
http://www.bengoodger.com/mlx9346/compare/. This page is of course
biased towards Firebird, which is fine.

Generally, we're looking to build a document that highlights the
strengths of our various products while being accurate and generally fair.

Some products to include in the table: Mozilla 1.x, Firebird,
Thunderbird, Opera, Safari, IE, Netscape 7.1, Konqueror, Outlook,
Outlook Express, Eudora, Netscape 4.79(?).

Let me know if you're interested in starting this project.

Bart Decrem
Mozilla Foundation
bart@mozilla.org
p: 650.387.0625