[Marketing-Public]Mozilla Box?

Storm Williams marketing-public at mozilla.org
Fri, 09 Jan 2004 14:02:12 -0500

Hi all!

One thing that I believe we will see more in business this year is a growth
in people leaving the Microsoft world; whether it be for a new operating
system, a more secure browser or maybe a better chat client. Regardless,
their is a migration underway (and has been talked about in the press) and
Mozilla and its community will benefit as well as users.

But I feel the current "delivery/packaging infrastructure," for lack of a
better term, hasn't matured to anywhere near the level of a delivered MS
product. An average user wanting to get rid of bug-ridden MS software, has
to become very saavy to find all the different projects available. You go to
one site to get Mozilla,, another for a media player and another for an
office suite.

So why don't we develop Mozilla "INERST NAME HERE"  (Office, Box, Tools,
etc.)?

I know this must be a pile of work, but at least we will begin moving
towards and open and "friendly" integration. From a marketing/advertising
point of view, this is an impact-full idea; a one stop open source solution
worthy of the average user obtaining.

As it stands, Mozilla has a pretty impressive list of products for OSX, Win
and Linux...

Navigator
Messenger
Composer
Address Book
ChatZilla

But these are just the tip of the iceberg for what most users need. Instant
messaging, word processing, graphics, spreadsheets and more. This stuff is
all available, open source and dirt cheap or even free.

How do feel the Moz community would accept this type of approach? Would
adding projects outside of the present project base be a pain in the ass? Do
you folks feel that it might be not feasible from a technical point-of-view?

This type of product would really strengthen the Mozilla brand and help
distribute secure computing products to more people as they migrate away
from a pure MS platform.

On the other hand, this might be a looney idea or already available
someplace else. If that is the case, maybe we can do it better?

Stormy