[Marketing-Public]looking for web programmer (4 projects)

Bart Decrem marketing-public at mozilla.org
Wed, 07 Jan 2004 21:17:59 -0800

Hi everyone,

We have four projects that we're sitting on that we're eager to launch
but that need a web developer.  please let me know if you able and
willing to take the lead on one of these:

1.  Mozilla testimonials: every time you load the m.o homepage, there'd
be a quote from a famous, or not famous, Mozilla user about our
software.  Testimonials could get entered by anyone using a web form
that would include: the quote, the person who gave the quote, contact
info for the person giving the quote, contact info for the submittor of
the testimonial, explanation showing the authenticity of the quote.
Testimonials would then be queued up for approval by an editor.  Once a
testimonial has been approved it goes into a database from which it can
be pulled to be featured on the m.o homepage.  This project could be
hosted on mozdev.

2.  Mozilla in the news feed: a web page that lists headlines and a few
lines from as many stories as we can find that talk about Mozilla,
Internet explorer, Outlook, and other topics of interest to the mozilla
community.  This could be an RSS feed extracted from Google News.  The
purpose is to have a web page that an 'army of volunteers' can go to
find stories that are of interest to Mozilla and then set the record
straight by posting comments to the article, writing to the reporter
etc.  So once we have this tool, the organizing project could start.
This too could be a mozdev project.

3.  Selected Mozilla stories: a listing of 3 to 5 top stories about
Mozilla, probably high profile, glowing stories.  Anyone could submit a
URL to a story.  An editor would go through the queue and decide which
stories to feature.  These stories would  then be published as an RSS
feed that would be featured on m.o and perhaps other sites (mozillazine?).

4.  Automated tracking of donations / donations meter: when someone
makes a donation via Paypal, we would ask them if they wish to remain
anonymous.  If not, their name would automatically get added to a Hall
of Fame web page on m.o.  The donation would automatically get added to
a donations counter and a cumulative chart on m.o.  The donor would
receive an automatic receipt notification.  This would probably use
Paypal's Instant Payment Notification technology.  People who donate via
the Mozilla Store would also get merged into this system, in a second
phase.  These scripts would need to be hosted on m.o.

Let me know if you can lend a hand with any of these projects.

Bart