[Marketing-Public]Mozilla is not (quite) for end users

David Hallowell marketing-public at mozilla.org
Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:52:31 +0000

fantasai wrote:
> David Hallowell wrote:
>
>> I seen your email address and for some reason my mind added an n and a
>> t and came up with netscape.com :)
>

> You're not the first. :)
>
>>> It seems to me that most of the existing end-user docs are easily found
>>> from the start page. They're hard to find otherwise.
>>

>> By the start page I guess you mean the special 1.4 and 1.0 start
>> pages. I have to admit I've not seen them often as I'm either using
>> nightlies of the *birds or Seamonkey... there does need to be a clear
>> link from
>
>  > the homepage to all the docs for those who change their homepage.
>
> I've been thinking, it might be a good idea to make the throbber link to
> the appropriate start page instead of the main page. Certainly it would
> be more useful to the user.

That makes a lot of sense. I think there should be a different start
page for releases than there is for nightlies. Last time I used 1.4
(ages ago) I recall it had to redirect from the developers start page to
the end user start page. Perhaps mozilla.org/start/ should be hijacked
for end user use, and set the nightlies to point to somewhere like
mozilla.org/get-involved.html

There's one disadvantage of this, someone would need to remember to
change the start page on the branch before a release.

The main advantage of this approach is that in the current setup, if
someone changes their user-agent to something else (that's not a
mozilla.org official release) then instead of being redirected to the
end-user start page, they'll currently get the developer one.

--
David Hallowell
LogicaCMG UK Ltd