[Marketing-Public]Accessibility as a marketing opportunity

Moz Champion moz.champion at sympatico.ca
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:02:06 -0400

Chris Hofmann wrote:

> aaronl is the project leader for accessibility and has been working
> hard to make mozilla and firefox 508 compliant.  with aaron's hard
> work and the work of other volenteers we are getting closer each
> milestone.
> chris h.
>
> raiph wrote:
>
>> http://www.out-law.com/php/page.php?page_id=travelsitessettle1093266487&area=news
>>

>> "Travel sites settle New York accessibility investigation"
>> 23/08/2004
>>
>> "The operators of Ramada.com and Priceline.com have undertaken to pay
>> $77,500 and to improve their web sites' accessibility to settle an
>> investigation
>> by New York Attorney General Elliot Spitzer that contradicts a
>> federal court
>> ruling of 2002."

>> "In the UK, awareness of the legal obligation for web accessibility
>> has only
>> really taken hold in the last 12 months, albeit the obligation has
>> existed for
>> much longer. Spitzer's settlements are likely to trigger a similar
>> rise in
>> awareness in the US, particularly since neither Priceline.com nor
>> Ramada.com
>> is based in New York."
>>
>> It's hard to predict how this will play out, but it seems at least
>> plausible that it
>> will be pretty significant and that there's scope for Mozilla to
>> leverage their
>> section 508 efforts. As I recently emailed a UK author:
>>
>> Mozilla's VPAT (voluntary assessment of compliance with Section 508,
>> a very
>> important piece of US federal legislation on accessibility, which is
>> still highly
>> relevant to UK site owners and users) shows near complete compliance:
>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/ui/accessibility/section508.html
>>
>> Microsoft Internet Explorer hasn't even been assessed by Microsoft.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/Resources/Government/section508.aspx
>>
>> Worse, a search for "Section 508" at Opera's web site yields zero
>> matches!
>>
>> And of course w3c standards support is relevant in this context.
>>
>> I could see us emailing webmasters to remind them that a download link
>> to Firefox might help them discharge their legal obligations in
>> respect of
>> accessibility. Otoh, the link above only talks about SeaMonkey.
>>
>> love raiph
>> Get involved - Check out the marketing projects that need help -
>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/marketing

> Get involved - Check out the marketing projects that need help -
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/marketing

Um, this site
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/microsoft/section508essay.aspx

states that Microsoft completes a VPAT report on each version of
software they produce and
Microsoft then posts the VPAT on its corporate Web site, providing both
government officials and consumers easy access to the information.

So I would be careful about what claims you make relative to Microsofts
relative compliance