[Marketing-Public]Firefox, Xth most popular piece of software on the planet

Bart Decrem bart at mozilla.org
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:58:50 -0700

--------------080408090605030208000205

Well, I'd like to be able to say "Firefox is one of the 20 most popular
pieces of software in the world" or something like that.  Which is a way
of balancing out the "niche player" coverage.  So I need some sort of
backing for that...

/bd

Percy Cabello wrote:

>As a start download.com's popular software covers most of the basics.
>http://www.download.com/3101-2001-0-1.html?tag=pop
>PC World's on utilities:
>http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/collection/0,collid,1247,00.asp
>
>In addition to that list:
>Roxio Easy Media Creator
>iTunes
>QuickTime
>Winamp
>Quicken
>Money
>Norton Antivirus
>AVG Anitvirus
>McAfee Antivirus
>Yahoo! Messenger
>MusicMatch
>If it counts, the Google and Yahoo toolbars.
>As Bart mentioned: Office, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, not sure about
>OpenOffice.org
>
>You mean something like this or try to find some formal research, some kind of
>census of software utilization? Us only or world wide?
>
>greetings,
>
>Percy
>
>--- Bart Decrem <bart@decrem.com> wrote:
>

>>Folks,
>>
>>One of the things that's really struck me is that Firefox is probably
>>already one of the 25~50 most popular pieces of end user software on the
>>planet.
>>
>>Can someone on this list do some digging around and try find or create a
>>credible listing of end-user software in terms of total users (I would
>>imagine that Windows, Office, IE, Kazaa, Linux, OpenOffice, Flash,
>>Winzip... and a number of other apps will have really high user
>>numbers).  Maybe this is an impossible request ...
>>
>>I'm looking for this number or listing because it's a fun data bit to
>>throw into interviews ("Firefox, before even reaching its 1.0 release,
>>is already one of the 50 most popular pieces of software on the planet").
>>
>>Thanks for your ideas.
>>
>>Bart
>>

>>--
>>
>>Rediscover the web - Get Firefox <http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/>.

Bart Decrem
Mozilla Foundation
bart@mozilla.org
650.387.0625
me vs. mail <http://www.decrem.com/bart/archives/000068.html>

Rediscover the web - Get Firefox <http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/>.

--------------080408090605030208000205

<head>
 content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
  <title>Mozilla Lead Story in Today's Wall Street Journal</title>
</head>
Well, I'd like to be able to say "Firefox is one of the 20 most popular
pieces of software in the world" or something like that.&nbsp; Which is a
way of balancing out the "niche player" coverage.&nbsp; So I need some sort
of backing for that...<br>
/bd<br>
Percy Cabello wrote:<br>
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">As a start download.com's popular software covers most of the basics.
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.download.com/3101-2001-0-1.html?tag=pop">http://www.download.com/3101-2001-0-1.html?tag=pop</a>
PC World's on utilities:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/collection/0,collid,1247,00.asp">http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/collection/0,collid,1247,00.asp</a>

In addition to that list:
Roxio Easy Media Creator
iTunes
QuickTime
Winamp
Quicken
Money
Norton Antivirus
AVG Anitvirus
McAfee Antivirus
Yahoo! Messenger
MusicMatch
If it counts, the Google and Yahoo toolbars.
As Bart mentioned: Office, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, not sure about
OpenOffice.org

You mean something like this or try to find some formal research, some kind of
census of software utilization? Us only or world wide?

greetings,

Percy

--- Bart Decrem <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:bart@decrem.com">&lt;bart@decrem.com&gt;</a> wrote:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Folks,

One of the things that's really struck me is that Firefox is probably
already one of the 25~50 most popular pieces of end user software on the
planet.

Can someone on this list do some digging around and try find or create a
credible listing of end-user software in terms of total users (I would
imagine that Windows, Office, IE, Kazaa, Linux, OpenOffice, Flash,
Winzip... and a number of other apps will have really high user
numbers).  Maybe this is an impossible request ...

I'm looking for this number or listing because it's a fun data bit to
throw into interviews ("Firefox, before even reaching its 1.0 release,
is already one of the 50 most popular pieces of software on the planet").

Thanks for your ideas.

Rediscover the web - Get Firefox <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/">&lt;http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/&gt;</a>.

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->