[Marketing-Public]How can I help?

David Hallowell David Hallowell <david.hallowell at gmail.com>
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 07:19:53 +0100

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:25:56 -0700, Adam Boettiger
<adam.boettiger@pobox.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been involved in internet marketing since 1995 - nearly
> ten years now - and currently work for a direct marketing agency.
>   I have vast experience and connections in nearly all areas of
> online and offline marketing/advertising.
>
> How can I help?  What is the most urgent need?

Make use of your experience to think of new and innovative ways to
promote Firefox and Thunderbird.

One of the existing things you can take a look at is the marketing
project page: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/marketing/

Linked to on that project page is Blake's community marketing efforts
new ones are posted to Blake's weblog http://blakeross.com/ when they
become available.  It might be worth looking to see if you've got any
contacts that'd be willing to donate advertising space for the 1.0
release of Firefox (this was week 3 in Blake's campaign). A banner on
a website, a positive review in a magazine (online of offline) and any
other forms of publicity would help the cause greatly. Particularly in
the non-technical media as Firefox usually gets excellent reviews in
the technical press anyway (but the more positive reviews the better
even ones that have a readership that have already converted).

We're doing well on the grassroots side already (but can always do
better) a lot of people mention and link to firefox in their blogs,
etc. We're also doing well in mainstream with reviews, etc but
non-technical users don't read these sort of articles so getting these
people to notice will require brand recognition which advertising
would really achieve.

It may be worth looking at the archives of this list for ideas that
were discussed previously
http://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/marketing-public/

So, my advice is use your imagination and use your contacts and thanks
for taking the time to help.

Dave