[Marketing-Public]Firefox on Google

David Hallowell David Hallowell <david.hallowell at gmail.com>
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:18:48 +0100

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:37:46 +0200, |<onrad <karpieszuk@interia.pl> wrote:
> Dnia 08/28/2004 06:27 PM, Użytkownik David Hallowell napisał:
> > ...so I'd say Google have nothing to lose on this
> > one.
>
> Google can lost their reputation of independend company. Firefox is a
> product, and when Google will do logo with this much people will
> understand it like Google reccomend Firefox. Maybe for money, but
> without money Google wont do this
>
> Also Google can lost some advertisers (eg Opera)

Good point, posting things in forums makes it easier for the
disadvantages to become apparent. But who knows, perhaps Google would
like to endorse Firefox? There is some incentive of moving people off
the browser written by their biggest rival, but I'm sure they don't
want to upset opera as they're an advertising partner.

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:44:28 -0400, Anthony Long <along@flexiety.com> wrote:
> Seeing that Google usually features holidays and special occasions such
> as Earth Day and the Olympics in the Logo treatment, you would probably
> get them saying "we only do logo treatment for special occasions as
> company policy".  You should try it to see, though.  Do you have any
> contacts at Google?

The mozilla developer day was held on the Google campus so it shows at
least Google are Mozilla friendly and I assume someone at the
foundation has some contacts. May be worth asking, even though Google
may have reasons to say no, it does no harm to ask.

> One other thing Mozilla could do is purchase sponsorship on Google by
> using Adwords.  Would be pretty easy and straightforward.

I'm sure Blake has already planned that funds permitting, the problem
is most of the search terms people are most likely to be looking for
Mozilla already feature links to either Firefox or the suite so
advertising on common keywords is unlikely.

> Another thing Mozilla could do is release a press release through PR
> Newswire, which sends every release to 4,000 websites in addition to the
> newspapers and wires services in its roster.  There are additional PR
> angles that can be taken along this path as well.

I hope they've already thought about this. Seems an important step.