[Marketing-Public]MS Longhorn info

Peter marketing-public at mozilla.org
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:15:54 +0100

Hi all,
Sorry if this seems slightly off-topic -- info about the upcoming (2005-ish)
Windows "Longhorn" release...
http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-5083491.html

Of some interest is the ClickOnce feature, which I guess is like the
LindowsOS, easy to purchase and install apps. I would guess this will result
in consumer devices that are much less configurable than todays PCs?

That being the case (and it *is* speculation), then attempts to target "joe
six pack" might be ultimately pointless -- by 2006 the consumer market will
be running consumer devices and not PC's.

So, maybe its better to target corporates (developer info/tools/examples),
and perhaps ISP's.... really anyone who wants to support only a limited set
of applications. Other targets could include embedded apps, e.g.
phones/PDA's.

All food for thought anyway!

Regards,

Peter.