[Marketing-Public]more re: mozilla redistribution and trademarks

Duane Fahey dfahey at visualautomation.com
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:55:01 -0400

Bart,
I'm not a big Linux guy, but this seems to differ from what they are doing.

Basically, in the Linux world, anyone can make any kind of penguin, and
then the user knows that "it's something about Linux".  Is that right?
I'm not sure about this, just asking.

Then, Red Hat or Suse or whomever, as a distributor, has their own logo.

With the Mozilla Foundation, things seems to be different.  The Mozilla
Foundation is selling CDs, answering tech support calls, etc.  There is
no equivalent to this in the Linux world, correct?  Distributors do
that, but not there is not a core Linux group that does anything other
than coding, right?

So, the Mozilla Foundation will sort of be competing with a distributor,
in a way.

My point is that the Mozilla Foundation does need something to clarify
to the user that something came directly from them, but it also needs a
really nice generic logo that EVERYONE can use for anything.  A logo
that tells people "Mozilla" the way that the penguin says "Linux".

But now, you have 2 or more brands.  Much harder than one.  Building one
brand is the easiest way to go here.

Ideally, you want every single thing that anyone does to have this brand
on it.  Every web page that refers to Mozilla, every add-on, every
theme, every press release, and every distribution should have the same
mark.

At least, this is what I think...  - Duane