[Marketing-Public]more re: mozilla redistribution and trademarks

Bart Decrem bart at decrem.com
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 22:12:58 -0700

No sooner was the ink dry on my last mail, then I came across a request
from a group that's friendly to Mozilla, wants to sell Mozilla CDs in a
specific region and would like to donate part of the proceeds to the
Mozilla Foundation.

But they'd like to be able to use our lizard icon and text logo, so are
asking for permission.

And they'd like to include a piece of Mozilla merchandise with their CDs.

So this means I need to detail point 8 from my previous mail more.

It seems to me that we need to have *some* way of signalling to the
world that something is "official" and comes from the "real" Mozilla
organization.  Since the MPL allows people to redistributeour code, and
my previous proposal allows people to market redistributed products as
"Mozilla", the only thing we have left are those 2 pieces of art (the
lizard, the text logo).  So I'm inclined to say "Only Mozilla.org can
use those marks".  And Mozilla.org would include official projects such
as localization and agents such as E-Flo (our official CD
distributors).  But the rest of our extended community would NOT be able
to use those marks.  Note that, for instance, neither Mozillazine nor
Mozillanews nor Mozdev use our text logo, and only Mozdev uses parts of
our lizard logo (so if we adopt that policy, we'd ask Mozdev to redo
their banner).

We could create a second set of artwork (perhaps a different color
scheme or a slightly different style) that we do license to our
"community"  - so that could include Mozdev, Mozillazine, these CD folks
etc.

Thoughts?

Bart