MSN and Marketing

Cabello, Percy Percy.Cabello at pfizer.com
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:36:59 -0400

The problem is that for not much longer will spam and pop-up blocking and
maybe even tab browsing will be perceived as "plus" features, as they may be
seen as standard features because of MSN and AOL strong marketing campaigns.
In the other side, people who just don't like MS neither AOL may hear for
the first time about some of this feature and will be interested in
alternative free offers. Think "No spam, no pop ups... no strings attached"
as an idea to be transmitted.

I also think we should find out a "reason" to explain people why are they
being offered a free so powerful browser. If I don't know Mozilla, and it
comes and offers me web heaven for nothing I would be very suspicious.
People may need to know why are we working for nothing. Somebody knows?
communism? (just kidding)

Time seems to be running against these once strong Mozilla features and very
little seems to be available to counterattack this.

May be we should start considering instead of a general market target,
several niche markets such as web designers, researchers, handicapped
people, kids and so on, and see which features/extensions fit each  the
best. For example, even a cool kiddie theme may make Mozilla more suitable
for kids, with less preferences, stronger security. May be even some kind of
extension filtering/blocking (at the browser level) that simply checks the
text in the web page for parents made "nasty" words. For researchers,
extensions like Linky and Mycroft are a plus, as well as the post-it alike
extension which name I don't recall right now.

Once again, I would say that features do matter, and matter a lot.

Several niche may conform a mass market in relatively short time.

Percy