slogans

ralph mellor ralph at dimp.com
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:37:43 -0500

> I was simply contrasting browse and devour

I think you're on to something with that. I have a suggestion that
works that angle, and a few others.

However, imo, getting in to that (a slogan) given what has gone
before (nothing on market position) is putting the cart before
the horse.

Aium (that's "as I understand marketing", not my new personalized
chant), market position determines branding/product names/slogans.
Thus, imo, we should discuss the former before the latter.

Bart has tentatively agreed to the following definitions:

   Position is the singular conceptual space that one tries to have
   a thing occupy in people's minds, to the absolute exclusion of
   competing things, now and for the foreseeable future.

   Brand is the collection of communicative artifacts that serve
   as both a concrete identity, and to evoke and/or reinforce a
   set of brand values.

   Brand values should reinforce, or at least not be inconsistent
   with, market position.

The primary way in which one establishes a market position is
by being (or sufficiently credibly claiming to be) the first
to do well whatever it is one claims to do.

love, ralph