Clarifying mozilla.com versus mozilla.org

Jay Garcia Jay at JayGarcia.com
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:25:46 -0500

On 19.09.03 08:07, Duane Fahey wrote:
> Bart,
> If that's the case, then www.mozilla.com should automatically re-direct
> to mozilla.org, for those people that type in .com automatically.
>
> I don't really understand how a domain name extension has anything to do
> with tax laws though.  Not argueing or anything, I just don't get it...
> - Duane
>
> Bart Decrem wrote:
>
>> Woops - change of plans.   We had another series of long meetings with
>> our tax attorneys about the various business-type activities we're
>> thinking about offering and the upshot of it was: we should not launch
>> a mozilla.com web site.  Instead, we're back to offering one
>> integrated web site (mozilla.org), where we can offer some of the
>> fee-based services (CDs, phone support and more).
>> Rafael's already working on a new site map.
>>
>> Bart
>>

>> ralph mellor wrote:
>>
>>> I think we ought to make a clear distinction between m.c and m.o
>>> (mozilla.com and mozilla.org), both internally, in the form of a
>>> document[1] clarifying intended differences, and externally, in the
>>> form of some presentation on the web sites themselves that makes
>>> it clear to a visitor what's going on. (Which can also be discussed
>>> at the wiki page in footnote [1].)
>>>
>>> == Intended differences between m.c and m.o ==
>>>
>>> If you know of an existing document that can be made public, please
>>> post it or its URL to the page/wiki listed at footnote [1].
>>>
>>> == Web presentation of the differences between m.c and m.o ==
>>>
>>> * Could be a box.
>>> * Could be titled "Check out our sister site Mozilla.org" on m.c
>>> and vice-versa on m.o.
>>> * If designed carefully, the box could achieve its primary purpose
>>> (the m.c/m.o distinction) while also covering several other sister
>>> sites as a secondary purpose.
>>> * Maybe a mini-navigator box:
>>> ** Talks about several sister sites and their relationship;
>>> ** Contains links to each;
>>> ** Highlights which one you're at;
>>> ** Perhaps is usable at all the sites mentioned.
>>> * Box text should probably be tailored to the target audience of
>>> each site.
>>>
>>> ----
>>>
>>> [1] Perhaps
>>> http://wiki.mozdev.org:8080/cgi-bin/mozdev-wiki.pl?ProjectMarketing/ComVsOrg

When domain naming first started out we only had the five extensions -
.com .edu .gov .net .org

.edu - educational, universities, etc
.gov - obvious
.net - ISP, serivce providers, etc
.org - non-profit

.com was perceived to be "commercial" or business oriented and was
therefore flagged as a profit making entity, hence the tax man's
scrutiny and resulting liability(s).

Lot more involved than that but the basic picture I would presume in
this case with m.com

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape Champion - Mozilla Champion
The UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org