Marketing Firebird: Get a Clue!

Ben Goodger ben at bengoodger.com
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:15:06 -0700

Simon Willison wrote:

> I just spotted this on a weblog:
>
> http://feedster.com/blog/archives/15_Marketing_Firebird_Sheesh__Get_a_Clue.html
>

> """
>
> But marketing can only come when the basic user issues are handled and
> there are two (or three) that need to get addressed.
>
>    1. Installer.  You need to have a standard Windows installer with
> every single build.  Period.  Now I just checked AGAIN with the
> nightly url and you still just have a big zip of files.  That's just
> plain unacceptable.  If people can't install easily then they just
> plain won't.  Want to offer a zipped version for those that don't like
> it?  No problem but that's an additional option NOT the damn default.
> And, yes Virginia, installation software is scriptable and automatable
> these days so it can be tied into a standard Windows build process.

I'm working on a new Installer that will hopefully be incorporated into 0.8.

>    2. Profile Format Changes.  I don't know what it is about the
> Mozilla project but how many times have we all seen the message that
> says "you need to install this into a new directory since we decided
> (once again) to change our profile format and we don't give a rats ass
> about backwards compatibility or being a pain in the arse to our
> users".  Dude!  One reason I don't install Mozilla / Firebird for most
> of my non geek Friends even though they'd like it is that losing user
> data is unacceptable and this message is just plain scary.  Either
> stop changing the profile formats or simply refuse new code if they
> haven't written the import routines for the old profile format.

We strive to minimize the impact of changes on the profile format
between releases. In reality, there hasn't been a forced profile change
in some time, and there usually is little reason to change profiles
between releases - this is actually just bad/misleading release notes.
I've been using the same Firebird profile since November ;-) Improving
the release notes and other release documentation is a high priority.