Marketing Firebird: Get a Clue!

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 23:56:03 +0100

I just spotted this on a weblog:

http://feedster.com/blog/archives/15_Marketing_Firebird_Sheesh__Get_a_Clue.html

"""

But marketing can only come when the basic user issues are handled and
there are two (or three) that need to get addressed.

    1. Installer.  You need to have a standard Windows installer with
every single build.  Period.  Now I just checked AGAIN with the nightly
url and you still just have a big zip of files.  That's just plain
unacceptable.  If people can't install easily then they just plain
won't.  Want to offer a zipped version for those that don't like it?  No
problem but that's an additional option NOT the damn default.  And, yes
Virginia, installation software is scriptable and automatable these days
so it can be tied into a standard Windows build process.

    2. Profile Format Changes.  I don't know what it is about the
Mozilla project but how many times have we all seen the message that
says "you need to install this into a new directory since we decided
(once again) to change our profile format and we don't give a rats ass
about backwards compatibility or being a pain in the arse to our users".
  Dude!  One reason I don't install Mozilla / Firebird for most of my
non geek Friends even though they'd like it is that losing user data is
unacceptable and this message is just plain scary.  Either stop changing
the profile formats or simply refuse new code if they haven't written
the import routines for the old profile format.

    3. Now since there is no installer, I shouldn't say this but if you
address point #1 then the answer is not to make an installer and then
zip it so its smaller file size.  You need to move from a .ZIP that
contains an installer to a true Windows .EXE that installs itself.  The
byte savings isn't worth the hit to usability.

"""

I agree with all three of the above points. Can anyone on this list
bring these to the attention of the Firebird developer team? I'm sure
they have considered these already, but they really are vitally
important if we want Firebird usage to increase.

Cheers,

Simon