Microsoft Developer Marketing Question

Anthony Long along at flexiety.com
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 02:38:17 -0400

It occurs to me that a large part of Microsoft's success has been based
around its ability to attract and sustain a hefty number of software
developers for its platform.  I'd like to figure out why.  Why did
developers initially develop for Microsoft's BASIC, DOS, and Windows and
continue to do so in droves?  Same question goes for Palm.

Is it the case that an entity must first capture a dominant market share
in order to then capture substantial numbers of developers?  So maybe
the answer to this question, it was MS's cornering of the PC market that
led to developer attraction?  But if this is true, then why in the early
80s,  when it was uncertain which way the PC industry would go, did MS
attract developers?

Using what we learn from answering these questions, how can we apply the
lessons to better attract developers for open-standards platforms like
Linux, Mozilla, and OpenOffice?

I'd love to hear peoples' thoughts on this.