upselling

Jayesh Sheth jayeshsh at ceruleansky.com
Tue, 09 Sep 2003 18:13:26 -0400

Hello all,

I have read all the upsell messages recently, and have a few comments.

I think Percy's suggestion of Musicmatch is a great idea. I am also a
subscriber of MusicMatch ( http://www.musicmatch.com ), and have found
it to be an excellent source for online music. For those unfamiliar with
it, it is an mp3 player, recorder and streamer; but it differs from
Winamp in that it offers its own streamed audio content via "radio
stations"  and artist on demand streams. As far as I know, it reached a
private, exclusive agreement with the RIAA, after having been sued by it
several years ago (CPU magazine article). This enabled it to provide a
very wide selection of music at a competitive price: $2.95 / 4.95 per month.

Another product which I would whole heartedly recommend is SmartDraw
Photo ( http://www.smartdraw.com ), which is an easy to use graphics
editor (like Paintshop), and which does 95% of the stuff I need it to do
without the complexity of Paintshop or The Gimp. I think Smart Draw
Photo costs about $70.

Another music-related option would be the Garageband.com quarterly CD
subscription; Garageband.com has the best independent music online, and
offers a four CDs per year containing their best picks for $30, I think.

Another email-service-related recommendation would be Spamcop email (
http://www.spamcop.net ). I use their free spam reporting service every
day. They also offer paid email accounts which filter most spam out for
$30 per year ( http://mail.spamcop.net/individuals.php ).

Finally, if there is general consensus that the buyers for the first
Mozilla CD will be tech-savvy, it might pay to offer a hosting service
as an upsell item. I would recommend Dreamhost (
http://www.dreamhost.com ) which offers good LAMP hosting and fanatical
support.

If anyone has any ideas or feedback, please let me know.

Thanks,

- Jay