upselling

Cabello, Percy Percy.Cabello at pfizer.com
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 12:11:28 -0400

This may be possible. Just because I can't say this is impossible.

But this would be a very strange upsell.
When a store offers you bubble gum or razors at the checkout counter, the
bubble gum or razor maker has paid to the store for letting them put their
stuff there (cooperative promotion).

In the case of a web store (Mozilla's), there's absolutely no reason for
"upselling" anything without an economic benefit. Because there's an
implicit risk in offering any kind of product and be "liable" for that
product results. Of course if the experience is good it is good for Mozilla,
but the risk is what any other maker should pay for, in the way of
partnership, splitting profits. That is normal business practice.

Links to Mozilla forums and other kind of technical info in the upsell page
or section, just doesn;t fit in my opinion. I think it would just look bad,
non professional. Whatever the process for choosing an upsell product must
be transparent for customers (and it is implied). THey should just see the
product icon, details and add button, that's it.

Percy