bundling

Robert Mohr mohr.42 at osu.edu
Fri, 05 Sep 2003 22:55:28 -0400

Bart Decrem wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Lots of interesting ideas re:bundling.  We definitely want to bundle
> software, starting with essential plugins such as Java, Flash,
> RealPlayer and Acrobat.  It takes time to get the licensing agreements
> done though.  In addition, the ideal way to deliver those plugins is as
> part of the install process, so people can just check a box that says
> "install these plugins" - and we don't have that machinery in place for
> Mozilla Firebird, AFAIK - so this is probably something that'll happen
> in a few months.
>
> Bart

Based on what I think most web users use, and partly on my personal
preferences, I would say these plugins and/or external programs:

Java
Flash
RealPlayer
Acrobat
Quicktime
WMP (isn't bundled with older versions of Windows)
Shockwave
7-Zip (as per previous post in thread, I believe this is "comparable" to
proprietary alternatives)
Gaim (see 7-Zip)

I can't think of any extensions to include, but I think many of the
Mozilla, MF and MT themes should be included and pre-installed.

As Bart says, we have awhile, but it's probably better to start early.
--
Robert Mohr
mohr.42@osu.edu