CD upsell due diligence help

Grey Hodge / jesus X jesus_x at mozillanews.org
Thu, 04 Sep 2003 03:45:01 -0400

Arg, I meant to send this to the list... Bart asked about upselling products, I
replied with this:

On 9/3/2003 3:01 PM Bart Decrem cranked up the brainbox and said:
>> - vet McAfee: does the service work acceptably under Mozilla (on
>> Windows)?  or is the online experience so terrible that we should
>> instead offer only the CD product

McAfee is crap. C-R-A-P crap. I have purchased NAV as a _gift_ for clients
rather than be forced to deal with McAfee. I cannot recommend more strongly NOT
even coming within 50 yards of this product, much less bundling it or being in
any way affiliated with it. I _have_ tested every version of this product, and
on a scale of one to ten, I have NEVER found it to rise above a 3 (IE scores a
5, on my scale, BTW), and would not wish it on mangelo/andkon, it's so
worthless. Please do NOT consider this an option.
 _____________

Now, Bart just replied to me, so I'm forwarding it to all involved, as I can't
apparently use email correctly anymore. I will harshly punish myself shortly.

On 9/4/2003 3:29 AM Bart Decrem cranked up the brainbox and said:
> Have you only test Norton Anti-Virus or other McAfee products as well?
> The company manages to stay in business, so presumably not everything
> they sell is universally considered C-R-A-P :)

McAfee is part of Network Associates now, and is cheap, so they get lots of
bundle-ware deals with OEMs and such, so it's not a matter of McAfee flying off
the shelves as much as they're cheap for vendors to put in the box to advertise
Virus Protection. Just another case of Shovelware.

I've also used Panda (not bad) and a couple of the freeish ones on the web, but
I've also had a decade of use with NAV, and have never been failed by it, ever.
So, I'm a bit biased there, but on a strictly professional level, I'd just
strongly suggest against McAfee.

SpamArrest is in direct competition with us on our spam feature, so that's also
a bad choice. Porn ditto, as that falls under the spam heading, unless it's a
parental filter thing like Cybersitter or NetNanny.

Do we have other choices to dangle in front of shoppers?

--
jesus X  [ Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism. ]
 email   [ jesus_x @ mozillanews.org ]